Monday, September 26, 2011

What about Bananas?

OK...so first I was wondering about lightening but for a number of reasons I am now thinking about bananas.  Why bananas you might ask?  Well, my son loves bananas!  By "loves bananas" I mean I have to monitor how many bananas he eats.  He is actually very fond of many fruits but due to convenience and price we always have bananas in our home.  I have noticed that when you leave bananas in their "bunch" they ripen much faster than if you separate them.  Why is this?  I have no idea and honestly I am  not sure if anyone else has noticed this.   So in the next few weeks I plan on experimenting with my bananas and doing a little research into why this happens  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,

    "Why is this?" seems to be important question to think about. But I guess "Does this really happen?" is important as well. It seems like the second question you'll be able to figure out quickly by experimenting.

    If bunched up bananas do ripen faster, why would they do so?

    Maybe it has to do with touching each other? If so, then Bananas would only ripen faster when touching, but not when close but separated.

    Or maybe they give off some chemical that go into the air, which speeds up the process. If so, then the Bananas could ripen faster even if closer but not touching.

    Because of these ideas, I'm wondering if the middle banana in a bunch would ripen faster because it would be touching/closer to more bananas compared to an outside banana.

    It also makes me wonder about "What is ripening? How does it work and why does it occur?" It also makes me wonder about what other factors affect ripening and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the question is does it really happen and why does it happen? I set up my experiment yesterday. I bought a large bunch of bananas and positioned them on the counter as 1 banana, 2 bananas, and 4 bananas. I took a picture going to post soon.

    ReplyDelete