Friday, September 2, 2011

"The Virtues of Not Knowing"

Until college I really don't ever remember a teacher promoting this kind of learning.  In my elementary education my teachers did not make us find the answer.  If we did not know they would give us the answer to memorize.  My most prominent memory of a teacher focusing on this type of learning was Biology 3000.  It honestly drove me nuts that Dr. Saddler would  never give us the answer!  This is what I was use to and therefore comfortable with.  I will say in the end I learned so much from that class.  Going through the steps/processes made me think for myself and really take ownership in my learning process.
I believe that there is virtue in not knowing.  Not knowing encourages thinking and investigation.  Students will be more active and less bored with their education if we as teachers promote this kind of environment.  

1 comment:

  1. I believe a lot of us probably had the same style of teaching as we grew up with the memorization and all. I like to an extent not being "given" the correct answer because it forces you to better determine your own. And on the students will be less bored sentence...yeah I second that. It encourages them to not remain passive either.

    ReplyDelete