Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Teachers.....make student hate math

So weird that I am writing this tonight after having my own child come home from school today saying "I am not smart in math!".  I wanted to scream DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't want this to be her story.  This was my story....and I do mean "was".  I remember thinking I was not good in math.  My 6th grade algebra teacher told my mom "Sarah is a good girl and I never have any trouble out of her but she is just not good in math and I don't have time to work extra with her".  I remember her saying this to my mom with me standing right beside her.  I knew I didn't catch on to math at the same speed or in the same way as some of my peers but up to that point I had not thought that I was really bad at math.  From that day on I thought I stunk at math...my teacher said so.....this was just my lot.  Then in high school geometry I had Mrs.Rose.  She would not allow this to be my story.  To make a long story short I made an A in her class and every math class I have taken since.  I needed someone to believe in me.  I needed at teacher to realize not all kids learn math the same way.  I have to see things and work problems out on paper.  I cannot do math in my head....but I can do it.  I just spent an hour working with Lauren (my daughter) on money...I hope I make her feel like "SHE CAN".

2 comments:

  1. The teacher actually said, "I don't have time to work extra with her?" That blows my mind! That person should not be a teacher if he/she can't make time for the students. In the very least, don't say a student she is basically stupid in front of her. That angers me even though this was when you were in 6th grade. I'm glad you got your math confidence back though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I am so sorry a teacher would say that to your mom or you. That teacher should have never given up on a student. I am sorry, but I don't think that kind of attitude should be a part of anyone's vocabulary as a teacher. I am glad that a teacher finally helped you see how to work the problems in a way that you could understand. To me this teacher was acting as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete